Greg Smith, Of Counsel, with Smith Legal, PLLC, who is board certified in Civil Appellate Law and a Texas Super Lawyer. For more than 45 years, Ramey & Flock attorneys have maintained practices dedicated principally to appellate issues. In that time, the group has represented clients in the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and 13 of the 14 state appellate courts in Texas.
The appellate attorneys handle all appeals generated by the firm's litigation practice, and are recognized as a source of sound judgment when clients need to weigh their chances of success against the economics involved in prosecuting an appeal. The group collaborates with litigators, both within the firm and from outside counsel firms, to frame legal theory, draft motions, preserve the record, and provide preservation of error before, during and after trial. The firm is frequently sought out directly by corporate clients or by other law firms to handle appeals in a range of substantive areas, involving virtually every aspect of civil law. Ramey & Flock's appellate practice anticipates and is thus positioned to manage trial emergencies and provides services including, but not limited to the following:
- Serving as lead or co-counsel on appeal
- Handling temporary injunctions, certification matters and other evidence-related hearings
- Researching and analyzing complex legal issues
- Seeking or resisting sanctions, particularly in discovery matters
- Preparing or responding to motions to exclude expert testimony
- Preparing or responding to motions for summary judgment
- Monitoring a trial to assist in preserving appellate complaints, particularly when the case poses a high risk of an adverse jury verdict
- Preparing and collaborating on trial briefs
- Preparing amicus briefs
- Preparing the court's charge and attending the charge conference at trial
- Preparing or responding to post-trial motions
- Handling mandamus actions or interlocutory appeals prior to trial
- Representing clients in appellate mediation
Our trial support services are solidified with experience. The team will continuously research and assess all elements of your case. Expect Ramey & Flock and Smith Legal, PLLC at your side before, during and after.
For more information, contact Greg Smith, appeals attorney in Tyler, East Texas, and all Texas state and federal courts.