Steve Spitzer – Managing Shareholder
Steve Spitzer focuses on probate litigation, will contests, guardianship and trust disputes. He also litigates other civil matters, including personal injury cases and business disputes.
Mr. Spitzer’s probate clients have disputed wills, trusts, guardianships, and heirships. Mr. Spitzer handles business and commercial litigation, and was extensively involved in representing health care providers prior to the medical negligence tort reform that passed in 2003. He has been active in both personal injury and probate litigation from that point forward.
Mr. Spitzer was a successful litigator for a major Dallas law firm from 1989 to 2011, and has been with Ramey & Flock since 2012. He has litigated many types of cases in his over 28 years of practice. He has served as the first chair attorney in over two dozen jury trials, has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1997, and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Baylor University, B.B.A., with honors
- Baylor University School of Law, J. D., cum laude
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Rating
- Personal Injury Trial Law
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Probate Litigation – Estate Disputes
- Wills – Probate – Estate Planning
- Health Care
- Premises Liability
- Trial of will contest involving legal capacity and undue influence of an elderly person who executed a second will within days of death.
- Local Counsel for Fortune 500 company involved in multi-million dollar East Texas lawsuit.
- Guardianship defense of elderly client from claims of mental incapacity.
- Trust revision suit to update terms of decades-old trust containing over $1 million in assets.
- Jury trial involving defense of wrongful termination against an East Texas employer of over 500 employees.
- Multiple jury trials defending claims against health care providers in East Texas
- Representation of nationwide long term health care provider in contested arbitration
- State Bar of Texas
- Smith County Bar Association
- Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce
- ABOTA (American Board of Trial Advocates)
- Grace Community Church – Elder
- Grace Community School – Board Member
- Rose Capital East Little League
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Texas State Courts
Selected Publications & Speaking Engagements
- January 2016, Steve Spitzer spoke at Gollob Morgan Peddy, CPAs on “2015 Legislative Update”
- October 2015, Steve Spitzer was featured speaker at Henderson Co. Bar Association Meeting
- September 2015, Steve Spitzer featured speaker at TAALP monthly luncheon – “Probate, Guardianship & Trust Trends”
Probate Law Newsletters
The State of Texas has created will forms that are free and available for public use. Opinions differ on whether this is a good thing. Legislative mandate A state law from 2015 requires the Texas Supreme Court to create simple will forms. After much effort, draft...
The family allowance is paid from estate funds to the surviving spouse and sometimes to other qualified dependents. In most estates, the allowance is not a factor because all or most of the estate goes to the surviving spouse. The spousal allowance usually comes up...
Larry King died in 2021 at age 87 after a hospitalization for COVID-19. He hosted the “Larry King Live” show on CNN for 25 years. King interviewed countless people on 6,000+ episodes of the show from 1985 to 2010. King’s will King’s net worth was estimated at $144...
Britney Spears reached the top of the pop music charts in 1998 at age 16. In 2008, a guardianship was set up that controlled her finances and personal life for the next 13 years. The guardianship, called a conservatorship in California, came after Spears experienced a...
A Texas appellate court recently included the surviving spouse’s IRA in the probate inventory and awarded half of it to the heirs of the deceased spouse. At death, the community estate divides 50/50 between the surviving spouse and the deceased spouse’s estate. That...
Please join us today from 10:30 to 11:30 at the Smith County Courthouse Annex as Lone Star Legal Aid and the Smith County Bar Foundation honor these six amazing Smith County Volunteer Attorney Recipients with their well-deserved pro bono awards. Our very own Steve...
Speak to an experienced attorney.
Fill out the short form below and Steve will contact you soon.