Steve Spitzer – Managing Shareholder
Steve Spitzer focuses on probate litigation, will contests, guardianships and trust disputes. He also litigates other civil matters, including personal injury cases and business disputes.
Mr. Spitzer’s probate clients have disputed wills, trusts, guardianships, and heirships. Mr. Spitzer handles business and commercial litigation, and was extensively involved in representing health care providers prior to the medical negligence tort reform that passed in 2003. He has been active in both personal injury and probate litigation from that point forward.
Mr. Spitzer was a successful litigator for a major Dallas law firm from 1989 to 2011, and has been with Ramey & Flock since 2012. He has litigated many types of cases in his over 30 years of practice. He has served as the first chair attorney in over two dozen jury trials, has been Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1997, and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
- Probate Litigation – Estate Disputes
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Wills – Probate – Estate Planning
- Health Care
- Premises Liability
- Trial of will contest involving legal capacity and undue influence of an elderly person who executed a second will within days of death.
- Local Counsel for Fortune 500 company involved in multi-million dollar East Texas lawsuit.
- Guardianship defense of elderly client from claims of mental incapacity.
- Trust revision suit to update terms of decades-old trust containing over $1 million in assets.
- Jury trial involving defense of wrongful termination against an East Texas employer of over 500 employees.
- Multiple jury trials defending claims against health care providers in East Texas
- Representation of nationwide long term health care provider in contested arbitration
- State Bar of Texas
- Smith County Bar Association
- Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce
- ABOTA (American Board of Trial Advocates)
- Grace Community Church – Elder
- Grace Community School – Board Member
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- Texas State Courts
Selected Publications & Speaking Engagements
- November 2020, Steve Spitzer was featured speaker at Henderson Co. Bar Association Meeting on “Probate Litigation Update”
- January 2016, Steve Spitzer spoke at Gollob Morgan Peddy, CPAs on “2015 Legislative Update”
- September 2015, Steve Spitzer was featured speaker at TAALP monthly luncheon – “Probate, Guardianship & Trust Trends”
Probate Law Newsletters
Ray Price was a famous country music singer and songwriter who passed away in December of 2013 at age 87. He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1996. Price was an East Texan who was born in Wood County and died at his home in Mt. Pleasant. An interesting...
Suits for power of attorney abuse are becoming more frequent. Standing to sue is a common barrier to bringing suit. A good example of this is a 2015 case from the Tyler Court of Appeals. Case Facts: A step daughter of the decedent used a power of attorney to become...
The tortious interference with inheritance cause of action has been discussed with differing results by several Texas courts of appeals and has been mentioned in the Texas Estates Code. Whether the cause of action exists in Texas is unclear. Cause of Action: The...
Casey Kasem died in June of 2014 at age 82. Prior to his death, adult children from Kasem’s first marriage were involved in a heated battle with his second wife regarding who would have access to visit with the famous radio personality. One of Casey’s daughters, Kerri...
In a 2013 case from the Tyler Court of Appeals, an estranged wife was given the ability to control the disposition of the deceased’s body, against the wishes of the deceased’s son. Facts: Thomas Woods filed a divorce action against his wife. Mr. Woods died less than...
Sherman Hemsley was the actor best known for his television role as George Jefferson on "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons." His estate involved an interesting battle over the validity of his will. Will Hemsley never married nor had children. He was very distant...
Do you need to speak to an experienced attorney?
Click below to connect and consult with one of our legal professionals.