Eric Kolder – Shareholder
Eric Kolder’s practice at Ramey & Flock is focused on employment law & litigation, estate, guardianship, trust litigation, and commercial litigation.
Eric heads up Ramey & Flock’s labor and employment law practice. He is familiar with the many and varied legal issues facing business owners and have developed a particular expertise in labor and employment law. In addition to compliance consulting and litigation representation, Eric frequently provides training and educational seminars for employers, business organizations, and business associations upon request.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Eric earned his accounting degree, passed the CPA examination, and worked in private accounting. His financial and accounting knowledge coupled with his legal training allows him to provide his clients with a conservative, well-rounded approach to legal issues.
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D. (2012)
- Louisiana State University, Magna Cum Laude (2008)
- Superb rating by AVVO
- Labor – Employment
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Probate Litigation – Estate Disputes
- Wills – Probate – Estate Planning
- Smith County Young Lawyers Association – Board Member 2017-2020
- State Bar of Texas: Labor and Employment Law Section, Probate Section, Real Estate Section, Trust Law Section
- City of Tyler Traffic Safety Board – Board Memeber 2014 – 2016
- Smith County Bar Association
- Chamber of Commerce – Education/Human Resources Committee Member – 2017 – present
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow – 2019 – present
Admitted to Practice
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U. S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
Selected Publications & Speaking Engagements
- 2023.01.19 Eric Kolder was the featured speaker at the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce’s Business Leader Series on the topic of “Employment Law Update – 2023.”
- 2023.01.18 Eric Kolder was the featured speaker at the Texas Executive Women’s Network meeting on the topic of “Employment Law Update – 2023.”
- 2022.11.09 Eric Kolder was the featured speaker at the Better Business Bureau’s monthly meeting on the topic of “Legal Concerns of the Interview Process.”
- 2022.06.10 Eric Kolder will be the featured speaker at the Smith County Bar Association monthly meeting on June 10, 2022. The topic will be “What Non-Employment Lawyers Need to Know About Employment Law”.
- 2022.01.25 Eric Kolder spoke at the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce on the topic of “2022 Employment Law Update” in Tyler, Texas
- 2022.01.18 Eric Kolder spoke at the East Texas Human Resources Association on the topic of “2022 Employment Law Update” in Longview, Texas
- 2021.03.15 Eric Kolder was speaker at Better Business Bureau monthly meeting. Topic was “2021 Employment Law Update”.
- 2020.06.08 Eric Kolder was featured speaker at Better Business Bureau. Topic was “COVID Clarity for Employers”.
- 2020.05.21 Eric Kolder spoke at Express Employment Conference.
- 2020.03.04 Eric Kolder spoke to the Longview Economic Development Council. Topic was “2020 Employment Law Update”.
- 2019.05.29 Eric Kolder to serve on expert panel at the East Texas Employment Survey seminar.
- 2019.05.08 Eric Kolder spoke on May 8, 2019 at the May meeting of the East Texas Human Resources Association on the topic of “FLSA Litigation”
- 2019.01.17 Eric Kolder recently spoke at the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce 2019 B2B Expo on the topic of “2019 Employment Law Update”.
- 2018.11.08 Eric Kolder spoke at the Tyler Area Association of Legal Professionals November meeting on the topic of “Other Side of #MeToo”.
- 2018.08.08 Eric Kolder spoke at the East Texas Human Resource Associations August 2018 meeting on the topic of “Employment Discrimination”.
- 2018.07.25 Eric Kolder spoke at the Tyler Better Business Bureau July meeting on the topic of “FLSA Intern Rule Changes”.
- 2018.06.11 Eric Kolder spoke at the Better Business Bureau Lunch & Learn meeting held on June 11, 2018. Topic was “Interview Process Legal Concerns”.
- 2018.01.18 Eric Kolder spoke on January 18, 2018 at the Tyler Area Chamber of Commerce B2B Expo on the topic of “Employee Handbooks”.
- 2018.01.10 Eric Kolder spoke on January 10, 2018 at the January meeting of the East Texas Human Resources Association on the topic of “FMLA Compliance”.
- 2017.12.07 Eric Kolder spoke on December 7, 2017 to the managers of the Andrews Center in Tyler, TX on the topic of “Texas Guardianship Law”.
- 2017.07 Eric Kolder spoke at the July Meeting of Rose City Chapter of SHRM (Society of Resource Managers) on the topic – Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Fighting Abuse and Managing Your Program.
- 2017.05 Eric Kolder was the featured speaker on May 4, 2017 for the Employers Resource Workshop. Topics included: Applicable Law: NLRA, NLRB Process (Charges, Complaints, Decisions), Social Media NLRA Cases, NLRB Guidelines on Social Media Policies and Recommendations for Drafting Social Media Policies.
- 2016.08 Eric Kolder spoke at the Tyler Chamber of Commerce – Joint Meeting of Governmental Affairs and Human Resources Committees on the topic of Fair Labor Standards Act 2016 changes.
- Muldoon, J.M., Keough, S.M., Ligouri, E.W., & Kolder, E.J. (2016). The Mediating of Organization Change, Perceptions of Politics and Interpersonal Conflict at Work on the Leader/Member Exchange and Job Satisfaction Relationship. Journal of the North American Management Society, Spring 2016, 9-21.
- 2015 Eric Kolder spoke at the Texas Farm Bureau Insurance Regional Meeting on “Estate Planning and the Probate Process”
Employment Law News
Kolder and Milam obtain $18.4 Million Jury Verdict in Fiduciary Litigation Case
Ramey & Flock’s Eric Kolder and Chelsea Milam prevailed in a six day jury trial in South Texas in a case concerning breaches of fiduciary duties by an executor and trustee. Kolder and Milam’s client was the beneficiary of his father’s estate and a beneficiary of...
Kolder and Milam Defeat EEOC in Federal Trial
Eric Kolder and Chelsea Milam defeated the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in federal court after a jury trial on September 28. The EEOC brought suit on behalf of seven former Sonic Drive In employees who alleged they were sexually harassed by a...
Major Change to Texas Law! Sexual Harassment Liability
Until now, Texas Labor Code Chapter 21 has defined “employers” who may be liable for sexual harassment claims to be those with 15 or more employees. As of September 1, 2021, all employers with at least one employee will now be subject to liability for sexual...
FREE WEBINAR – Labor & Employment Laws
Mark your Calendars! FREE WEBINAR Business Leaders S E R I E S May 20, 2021 • 12 Noon The May Webinar will focus on the new and upcoming Labor and Employment laws as we continue into the new presidential administration. Topics will include items such as: Families...
FLSA Collective Action – Wage & Hour Lawsuits: Not as Scary Now
For years, wage and hour lawsuits against businesses for alleged wage and hour violations have been painful and expensive ordeals for businesses due to the FLSA’s “collective action” feature. The FLSA allows a current or former employee to sue his employer on behalf...
Eric Kolder Speaks At Labor Law Update Webinar
Monday, March 15, 2021 – 11:30AM – 12:30PM Hosted by: Better Business Bureau – Central East Texas – Webinar Series – Building Better Business A lot has changed since the beginning of 2020, to say the least. The legal environment employers operate in is one area...
Do you need to speak to an experienced attorney?
Click below to connect and consult with one of our legal professionals.